The yachting interests of Stamford have experienced remarkable development and expansion within the last few years, notably through the organization of the Stamford Yacht Club in the early spring of 1891. Its first important step, after the choice of officers and trustees was the purchase of a suitable location on the west side of Shippan Point, containing about four acres of land, on which to build its club house. This property was still further enlarged in the early summer of 1892 by purchase of the adjacent lot and cottage of Mr. Frank H. Hoyt. The main building, bathing house and driving sheds, together with a one hundred and fifty foot dock reaching low water at a solidly constructed crib pier, were put up in 1891, in time for the formal opening of the institution which took place on the 25th of July.
The club was destroyed in a fire in 1913 and soon rebuilt. Whitman Bailey's take on the subject:
Artist's View of Stamford Yacht Club from Pier
More from our website:
- A Concise History of Shippan
- Stamford Yacht Club, Shippan Point
- Marine Commerce and Yachting
- Commodore Smith's Linden Lodge (Commodoe Smith was called the "Father of the Yacht Club")
- A Childhood on Shippan talks about the fire
- Yachting in Stamford (pre-WWII)
- Dr. Franklin Wardwell with his family on the ice outside the Stamford Yacht Club
We add the usual warning: "At times, the accompanying vignettes are mostly folklore passed on to Mr. Bailey by residents of the areas where he was sketching. In those instances he had no way of determining the truth of the story. Nor have we. It is presented as a sidelight to the sketch. Therefore, researchers are cautioned to regard these tales as local color, interesting, thought provoking, but sometimes not entirely factual."
(Reference file: Bailey 334.jpg)